NSS Elective Subject：Literature in English
Literature in English involves the reading and analysis of written materials of different kinds including fiction and non-fiction written works in English. It helps learners develop a humanistic outlook on life. Through a close interaction with literary or creative works which portray a diverse range of human thought, emotion and experience, learners gain knowledge and understanding of the nature of human existence and of the world and the society in which they live.
The aims of the Literature in English curriculum are to enable learners to:
- appreciate and enjoy a wide range of literary or creative texts and other related cultural forms;
- develop their capacity for critical thinking, creativity, self-expression, personal growth, empathy and cultural understanding;
- enhance their awareness of the relationship between literature and society;
- develop a greater sensitivity to the nuances of the English language; and
- be adequately prepared for areas of further study or work, where qualities promoted in the study of literature, such as creativity, critical thinking and inter-cultural understanding, are highly valued.
The Literature in English Curriculum provides learners with learning experiences to appreciate and enjoy literature, encourage self-expression and creativity, enhance their critical and analytical skills, improve their competence in the use of English, develop their cultural understanding as well as positive values and attitudes conducive to lifelong learning, and prepare them for further study or work.
Strands highlight the major purposes for which Literature in English is learned in Hong Kong and are used to organise learning content and activities for developing learners’ knowledge (general and linguistic), skills (language, communication and learning how to learn), values and attitudes as a holistic process.
Mode of Assessment
- Public Examination
- 80%Paper 1: Essay Writing (50%); Paper 2: Appreciation (30%)
- School-based Assessment
Interface with the Junior Secondary Curriculum and Post-secondary Pathways
The senior secondary Literature in English curriculum aims to capitalise on students’ learning of English at the junior secondary level to further enhance their language proficiency and develop their critical abilities, aesthetic sensitivity and cultural awareness. To enable learners to effectively meet the challenges of the senior secondary Literature in English curriculum, a solid foundation of knowledge and skills in English Language has to be laid at the junior secondary level.
By broadening and enriching learners’ knowledge, skills and experience, the senior secondary Literature in English curriculum also provides a firm foundation for further study, vocational training or work. It opens up a variety of post-secondary education and career pathways, particularly in the areas of media production, performing arts, teaching, law and social sciences.
|考試年度||出席人數||中文作答||5 級或以上||2 級或以上|